Actually, every time it has been personal but this year I had a family member that was going through a mastectomy tell me how much was available at the Dempsey Center. Thank You Patrick Dempsey, all the cyclists and runners that raise money and all of the people that have donated in the past.
How personal is it for me?
How personal is it for me?
- Leanne Hamlin, Sister-in-Law, Died very early of multiple myeloma. Unfortunately I didn't get to know her since I didn't meet her until shortly after her diagnosis.
- Dwight Edwards, Father, An active guy, much like myself, died before his time from cancer in his kidneys, lungs and more.
- Lee Edwards, Mother, Multiple bouts with breast cancer, treated and in full remission.
- Tricia Edwards, Stepmother, Multiple bouts with skin cancer, doing well with maintenance. Edit: and throat cancer that I had forgotten about. (which I'm going to call a positive because it was years ago and hasn't returned)
- Vickie Woitko, Sister-in-Law, Recent bout with breast cancer, doing well.
- Work (and these are all within the last few years)
- Cindy Anderson, Brest cancer, Treated and doing well
- Marjie Collins, Breast cancer, Treated and doing well
- Jim Greene, Brain Tumor, Treated and doing well
- Gene Honeywell, Aggressive cancer, Tough old bird worked until just weeks before he passed.
- Scott Bolduc, Brain Cancer, Treated and doing well, Truly a life changing event here. I'm seeing a man that decided to start living life a different way after a disease almost took it away from him.
- --- -------, (Name withheld), currently working through the big C
- Friends & Acquaintances
- There have been a few.
Here's a summary of years gone by:
- Year - Mileage - Bike - Amount Raised
- 2009 - 50 - Univega Viva Sport - $840
- My first BIG group ride, pretty exciting! I was so cute back them, I thought this ride was long.
- 2010 - 100 - Univega Viva Sport - $2550
- My first century, also exciting! Even though I have been biking more I had never ridden this far and was a little worried about riding for that long. I was pretty proud to be riding it on my almost 30 year old bike. This was also the year I lost my dad to cancer
- 2011 - 100 - Scott CR1- $1660
- My fastest century, still exciting. This was the year I set out to see how fast I could go. I remember the temps hitting near 90 in October.
- 2012 - 100 - Surly Cross Check $1220
- My slowest century, less exciting. I decided to do the ride on a slower heavier bike this year, pushed it pretty hard and paid the price. All's well that ends well.
- 2013 - 100 - Scott CR1-$1130
- When you start the race with a flat tire there's a good chance it's going to look up from there.
- 2014 - 100 - Felt F4X $1100
- Kelly is going to join me for the 100 mile ride this year. The plan is to kick back and do it at a slower pace and enjoy the ride and ample rest stops. Since I'm riding the Not Dead Yet ride the day before that may be mandatory.
- 2015 - 100
Scott CR1Felt F2X(?)
- This year I have joined a team. The plan is to ride it together but I'm getting an itch to see how fast I can accomplish a century. I'm not getting any younger after all. I may try to hook up with some racers and see how long I can hang on.
The Dempsey Challenge raises money to support The Patrick Dempsey Center For Cancer Hope & Healing. In most years they raise around $1,000,000 which goes directly to the center which offers free counseling, care & support to anybody impacted by cancer. Your donations support local people to help make their lives better at a time when they need support the most.
Other charity rides on the fall schedule include:
Supports land conversation for public use for current and future generations. If you're ever hiked Pleasant Mountain you have benefited from Loon Echo! They also manage thousands of acres of land available for public use. Thank You Loon Echo!
The fight back festival is a major fundraiser for The Cancer Community Center in Portland. The work the community center does is very similar to The Dempsey Center without the backing of a Hollywood star! The Cancer Community Center Serves the Portland Area and The Dempsey Center Serves the Lewiston/Auburn area.
Thanks for making a difference!