Friday, January 24, 2014

Early Morning Cyclist Inspiration

Also early morning cyclist revelation.  At least a mini revelation.  First with the inspirational sunrise picture.

Ooohhh Aaahhh

Now for the revelation.  OK, I'm still thinking revelation is a little strong, how about realization.  Anyway... I've been bitching about this slow fatbike thing for some time now (and that probably won't stop because it is, what? Slow).  My last time out on it took 2 hours to go 12 miles and nearly an hour to go 8 with some roads thrown in there.  The trails are firming up enough where I thought it was time to ditch the fat pig for a nice spritely mountain bike.  This time the results were mixed.  In general it was faster but a little squirrelier and scarier with a tendency for the front tire to wash out.  As I write this it sounds less like a realization and more like Duh.  The realization was, that on the sections of trail where the only tracks were from my previous 3 days of fatbiking (as well as snowmobile packed trails)  I could go faster on the studded mountain bike.  If I got off that trail, the mountain bike handled like a bear and instantly got slower and scarier.  So the fatty really does serve a purpose to exist symbiotically with my other bikes to get me to work over the trails in the winter.  Again, Duh.  I guess I just need to try to quell my bitching.  I'm never going to be one of those guys that claims the fatbike is my go-to fun bike but I'm glad I have it.

Loosely packed trails.

The Numbers: Same route (almost), same temp (almost), same trail conditions (almost).  The regular mountain bike is a little bit faster but it did feel a lot faster.

On The Fatbike:



On The GT Sensor:





No comments:

Post a Comment