Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Metallak Race 2019

"Don't try anything new on race day" That's what they say.  So, two weeks before the race I bought a used frame, fork and a box of spare parts and built a bike unlike any I have ever owned.  A hard-tail with a front shock. You see last year I raced on a cross bike and even though the result was good, the experience was stressful.  I did get enough time to do a few test rides and determined that this was the right tool for the job.
Locked & Loaded

Before the race the weather forecast was the biggest concern.   With temps that were supposed to be in the 40s for the race start with rain.  Being miserable or worse was a concern.  The weather was warmer and dryer than expected. We has also set up a very rain resistant campsite. It turns out it was not that wind resistant.  More on that later.
Relatively Rain Proof

The race start was good.  I vowed not to seed myself in the back of the pack like I usually do and started right off the front.  We started with a bunch of energetic racers hammering out of the start line.  The number of energetic racers dwindled to 6 and then 3 and then it was down to the first 2.  I couldn't help but call the number 2 racer an asshole when he passed me in EXACTLY the same spot as last year.  Based on last year I figured I would never see him again. But I clung to his wheel and followed him right down the first wrong turn. (Not his fault).  I tried to yell that we were off course but he kept going and I tuned around.  And then I tuned around again.  And then I see him coming back toward me.  And I tuned around again. Together we took a another wrong turn until I took a small lead.  Until I took another wrong turn and we were back together and I took a small lead.  Until I took another wrong turn and we were back together.  Fuck! (I exclaimed aloud).  From there we rode together until he was nice enough to tell me that I got a puncture.  That may sound snarky but it really was nice.  He noticed it before I did which saved some precious air pressure. I got it plugged with my newly acquired Tire Plugger.  I didn't even know this existed a few weeks ago and it worked awesome! I plugged the tire and was underway again in about 90 seconds.  Most impressively this was the first time I even tried this tool.  So if you ride tubeless I highly recommend it.  I never did catch the leader again but he was still in sight in spots on the road.  Well, at least until there was running involved.

Ready...Set...
I don't get you runners.  How do you do it?  How are you so fast?  How can you enjoy it? Strava tells me that I have run 40.3 miles this year and I can't say that I enjoyed any of them.  Anyway, once we hit the running portion of the race I start losing time.  Luckily the run was limited to two 1.5 mile legs too and from the kayak portion.  So I didn't lose as much time running as last year.


Still in 1st for now.
The rest of the race was good.  I walked less of the Cohos trail than I did last year.  The added singletrack in the beginning was a fun addition since I was on a mountain bike and could ride it.  The parts that I did walk would have sucked the last bit of energy from my legs so walking was better.  The steep slightly technical ATV trail was much more enjoyable on the mountain bike.  I did pick my way down a little more gingerly than I normally would have but only because my tires were a little fragile for that kind of riding.  My legs  started to cramp coming down since they were locked and not peddling so I made a plan to get more electrolytes once I hit the hike.  I ended up dropping an Endurolyte capsule in the road and then picking it up and taking anyway.  Desperate times call for desperate measures.   Overall the final hike didn't seem quite as bad as last year.  I could pick up and run some of the flat spots and keep a steady pace on the climbs.  I did get passed by somebody on one of the relay teams.  WHAT? I was pretty sure I had at least a 20 minute gap on everybody before the Cohos trail and I thought I might have widened it.  If he could catch me then who else could catch me?  I was looking over my shoulder for the rest of the run.  Since everybody is probably getting pretty bored reading this by now...The final bike stretch was good but my legs were pretty fried.  It didn't matter anyway since I didn't see anybody else.

I came in to finish 2nd overall.  20 minutes behind the leader and 4 hours and 10 minutes before the final finishers.  Honestly, I can't complain about my performance.  But I will.  Since the course was shorter this year I can't compare finish times.  I can see that I closed the gap to the same first place finished by about 10 minutes.  Seriously, I though it would be more.  The bike I brought was much more suited to the course and I felt like I did well.  My least favorite part the 3.5 mile run was eliminated.  What the heck?   But I'd rather be 2nd to first than 2nd to last so I will stop complaining.  
Tornado?
When I got back to Mohawk Falls it looked like a tornado had ripped through our campsite.  Mangled tent & easy-up, ripped tarp and tables and chairs strewn all over the campground.  The tent with a card table 2 sites over? Untouched.  I didn't have the energy to deal with much more than collecting everything and piling it up in the short term.

Mud Spattered Happiness
I limped around the finish line and talked to the other finishers while I waited for my wife to finish the short course.  I was really hoping she would be the first female to cross the line like last year so at least one of us would go home with some prize money but she also got the honorable position of 2nd place. It's not about the money but a little cash in the prize glasses would have been nice.
Showboating


A look at the split times confirmed that I was within a flat tire's time of first place in all the biking segments but I lost 20 minutes in the kayak and run segments.  2019 Metallak Results.  No surprise there. 

Personalized Race Entry Cards
The attention to detail on the race was exceptional.  The course marking problems were likely due to some course tampering.  Included with the race was food on Friday night, Saturday morning and Saturday night with the option to buy extra.  This is a very nice bonus to make camping simple.  Check out last years post for more info on the race and the venue. 
Podium Shot

Four days later my legs are still sore from all that damn running downhill.  Will I try it again?

You bet!

2 comments:

  1. Haha runners! I don't get them either! You two are always the best in my book!

    ReplyDelete