Sunday, February 3, 2019

Snowmaggedon - 2019

They don't call it snowmaaggedon for no reason.  There was plenty of snow.  So much snow that they had to snow blow the course before the race because it was unpack-able.  Thanks guys, it worked great!  Of course no fatbike race would be well represented if there wasn't a reference to the temperature. Which for fatbike racing seems to be one of 2 things...So warm the trails are all mush or so cold that you question your sanity.

In all honesty, it had warmed up to 5F by race time and the temp wasn't the issue.

The course consisted of areas that needed 3 distinct skill sets. Half the ski trails were well packed and raw power was the answer here.  The other half were loose and rutty.  In these sections skill was required to ride the ruts without crashing into the ground.  The last section, and the best, was the tight twisty single track that needed just the right amount of nerves and knowledge to take the corners without sliding off into the waist deep powder.

Looks like a handup but it is a handdown. Thanks Max, much needed agua.
There were a lot of racers that possessed all of those skills.  I possessed all those skills but only at about 80%. proficiency of the winners.  Some racers only did one of those things best and would fly by you in one section only to be passed back when the terrain changed.

Stick a fork in me.
So at the end of the race I came in 20th.  Pretty much mid pack and 30 minutes behind the leader.  Those who know me know I'm a decently strong rider, and I got dusted.  I tip my helmet to to all those guys. My wife also raced and managed to pull off a 4th place in the Women's B race, nice job!


No comments:

Post a Comment